Shambhala is held on the Salmo River Ranch, a beautiful slice of forest and farm hidden away in the Salmo River Valley in the West Kootenay region of Southern British Columbia, Canada. Our location is pretty remote, with no major cities nearby. The funky village of Nelson is about 30 minutes away by car. In fact, during the festival Shambhala becomes the largest city in the West Kootenay region. It can be a little bit challenging to get here, but we’re here to help make that as easy as possible. If you have any questions about Getting Here that aren’t covered on this page, just email us at email@example.com.
How will you be travelling?
Queen City ShuttleLocal transportation company, Queen City Shuttle & Charters, offers a special shuttle service to Shambhala from Vancouver BC, Calgary AB, and Spokane WA. Please note: Queen City Shuttles & Charters is an independent company and is not affiliated with Shambhala Music Festival. Please direct all shuttle inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website.
GreyhoundIf you are considering taking Greyhound, please keep in mind that the nearest stop is the gas station in Salmo, 6km away from the entrance to the festival site.
Shambhala is accessible by a dirt road off Highway 3, 6 km east of Salmo, BC. Make sure your vehicle is in good working condition. RCMP road blocks on the way into Salmo are common during the festival, and your car may be taken off the road if it does not meet safety standards. We recommend you fill your gas tank before you enter the festival grounds and clean your air filter before heading home. These country roads are dusty!
Don’t have a vehicle and need a lift? Want to share your ride to save some money on gas? Carpool! The fewer vehicles on the farm, the better. Here are some resources to help you make those connections.
In the past few years, we’ve seen the numbers of our American Farmily grow. We love all the love from our neighbours south of our border. Here are a few tips for smooth travel. Nearest Border Crossings:
- Nelway – 11.7 miles to festival site – open 8am-midnight daily
- Waneta – 34.1 miles to festival site – open 9am – 5pm daily
- Paterson – 49 miles to festival site – open 24 hrs
There are no airports within the municipality of Salmo so you will need to arrange for vehicle transport from another of our local airports. The closest airports are:
- Trail BC – Flights available through Pacific Coastal Airlines – 43 km, approx 50 minutes drive to festival site – Regional Airport (flights from Vancouver South Terminal Only)
- Castlegar BC – 44 km, approx 50 minutes drive to festival site – Regional Airport – Flights available through Air Canada
- Cranbrook BC – 197 km, approx 2.5 hr drive to festival site – Int’l Airport (plus time change)
- Spokane WA, USA – 169 mi, approx 3.5 hr drive to festival site – Int’l Airport (plus Border Crossing time, recommended route via Paterson shown, 24 hr crossing)